Nigerian President, Muhammadu Buhari has come under fire after he threatened to deal with the youths of Igbo-dominated South-East in a manner similar to the violence meted upon the region by him and other military officers who fought on the Nigerian side during the Civil War.
This online news platform understands that President Buhari made this comment on Tuesday, June 1, following the raging attacks against government facilities across the South East by some suspected hoodlums, alledged to be IPOB members.
The president had previously warned that there would be consequences for the attacks, and security forces have been combing the region in a deadly pursuit of those identifying themselves as Biafrans.
President Buhari ratcheted up his condemnation of the violence on Tuesday night and said it was obviously being carried out by those who did not witness the Civil War between 1966 and 1970 when Nigerian troops waged a war against Biafran secessionists.
“Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives that occurred during the Nigerian Civil War.
“Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand,” President Buhari said on Twitter
However, he has never used the same energy on the ill operations of Boko Haram, bandits, and Fulani herdsmen in the northern parts of the country, yet he brings up the Civil War to intimidate the peaceful people protesting for their freedom.
Recall that since he came into office, he has consistently excluded the Igbo, one of Nigeria’s three major ethnic groups from his government, apparently in line with his comments shortly after he assumed office in 2015, saying that they will not benefit much from his government because they did not vote for him.
Some Nigerians who were not pleased with his statement have taken to social media to blast the President.
See reactions below…