The Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Mr. Olukayode Popoola, on Sunday, announced that the total closure of the Third Mainland Bridge would be lifted at midnight on Sunday, Jan. 31.
According to Vanguard, Mr. Popoola revealed through a phone conversation to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the bridge will be accessible to motorists 24 hours ahead of schedules since the contractors were able to complete the repair works on time.
“The casting of the expansion joints was completed on Saturday. Therefore, the Third Mainland Bridge will be opened by 12 midnight on Jan. 31.“Motorists can start plying the bridge as from 12 midnight,” he said.
While expressing gratitude to road users for their patience, Popoola said that the reopening of the bridge had been communicated to the Lagos State government and all relevant agencies.
This burgeoning news platform recalls that Popoola had, on Jan. 27, announced a three-day complete closure of the bridge from 12 PM of Friday to 12 PM of Monday, Feb. 1 to allow for the repair.
The bridge, which is going through series of repairs, was partially shut on July 24, 2020, for another round of rehabilitation works.
The repair, which was earlier stated to last for six months, was extended by one month due to the #EndSARS protests in Lagos, thus extending the completion date from January to February.
Third Mainland Bridge is the longest of three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the mainland, others are the Eko and Carter bridges.