Osun state government on Saturday denounces the report making rounds that it has mounted a man-hunt for six coronavirus patients who escaped from an isolation centre in a town in Ejigbo area of Osun State.
The state government announced that only one patient among its 127 isolated patients was missing in the coronavirus Isolation centre.
Commissioner for Information and Civic Orientation, Funke Egbemode, said that efforts were ongoing to return the patient to the Isolation Centre in Ejigbo area of the state.
A press release from her read:
“Recall that a few week ago, we received 127 returnees from Ivory Coast and that we have kept them since then to avoid community transfer of the virus.“This morning we began a headcount and located out that just one person couldn’t be accounted for by officials stationed at the Isolation centre out of the 127 persons.“The government is currently investigating the matter and can make sure that the missing person is brought back to the Isolation centre and that we also will ensure we trace all his contacts.”
The government also explained that it had been tracing all contacts of the missing patient to stop an extra spread of the disease within the state.
“We want to reiterate that any official(s) found culpable also will be addressed accordingly.“We implore members of the general public to discountenance the alarm being raised. we’ll still do everything to guard the lives of our citizens during this fight against Coronavirus,” She said.
According to Concise News, the number of confirmed cases in Osun State is 22 off the 210 cases confirmed thus far in Nigeria.